Crowdsourcing a new pair of glasses

19 February 2012

Look how sad I am. Won't you help me find a new pair of glasses?

I need new glasses. This is partly due to the fact that my eye sight has changed and partly that I’ve had my current pair of glasses for more than 14 years now and they’re starting to feel a little worn.

So: down I went to Specsavers to check out some new frames. Unfortunately, even though the walls were plastered with glasses, the selection in store was a little limited (perfectly understandable, as they couldn’t possibly fit all their frames in their display), so I decided to check out their selection online instead.

You know what? Choosing glasses is difficult! It’s right up there with choosing lamps and watches. So many options, and so few that look any good. And so many almost identical ones – what’s up with that?

Additionally, a few of the frames that I had in mind weren’t available. I had hoped to find some 1930’s mad scientist’s glasses (see below), but no such luck. John Lennon frames were also missing. Ah well..

1930s mad scientist glasses - unfortunately not available

In the end I managed to compose a shortlist of four different frames, but for the life of me I can’t decide which (if any) of them would suit me. I want a pair of glasses that work with the shape of my face and that ideally would help make me look like I know what I’m talking about – after all, isn’t that the main purpose of glasses?

So here’s my suggestion: I post pictures of me wearing these glasses (virtually, of course) and you help me choose the best pair. This is called crowdsourcing and it’s the latest and greatest thing in R&D. Deal? What’s that? What’s in it for you? Well, apart from helping a fellow human being and the immense satisfaction that would give you, I can offer you your very own giant killer robot chicken*. Imagine riding one of those babies to work in the morning. Too much traffic? Just step over the cars and keep going. Or, if you’re in a mood, engage the rocket launchers fitted under each wing and blast a clear path through the urban jungle**.

If you are willing, please find below a selection of four Andreas Heinakroons wearing different frames. Each frame is associated with a letter – in the questionnaire panel, select the frame that you think works best (feel free to post a comment explaining your choice). The frame that receives the highest number of votes will be the winner and the frame I will buy. Ready? Ok, here we go:

Frame 'A'

Frame 'B'

Frame 'C'

Frame 'D'

Incidentally, this is my first poll – I hope it works! Also, I’m dead exited about this crowdsourcing thing. It’s the future, I tell you. The future!

Thanks for voting and for helping me decide what glasses I’ll be wearing for the next 14 years.

* The receipt of your own giant killer robot chicken is conditional on Andreas Heinakroon taking over the world and/or coming into possession of giant killer robot chicken technology. No substitute prizes will be available.

** Andreas Heinakroon does not in any way condone the unprovoked use of rocket launchers in order to facilitate commuting. Use an alarm clock and get up in time instead.

Update

It looks like frame ‘A’ is the winner. Good choice, people! I’ll post another update with a real-world picture once I got the new glasses. Thanks again!

Update 2

Due to the house fire, I’ve had to postpone purchasing my new glasses. I’ll keep you posted.

Update 3

The final choice

Verdammt! My procrastination caused the selected frames to no longer being stocked. This has lead me to having to improvise and choose a different pair of glasses. (I hate improvised purchases!) So I ended up with glasses not dissimilar to Frame ‘B’ above.
About these ads
  1. Roz permalink
    19 February 2012 05:36

I’m going to risk being a Debbie Downer and tell you that I once had a bad fall while wearing a pair of glasses similar to Frame D. I still bear two small scars.

2. 19 February 2012 05:45

OK. Here’s my decision-making process. THIS WAS SO HARD.

C was out. Too small for your face. They look like cartoon glasses.

I like all of the rest. ALL OF THEM. Argh!

I eventually ruled out A. because they were a lot like D., only I liked D. a little better.

Then I ruled out D. after a LOT of hand-wringing because I barely – BARELY – liked B. better. And I think B. looked a little more in-charge, while D. looked a little more feminine. Also, I like that in B., you look like an intelligent hipster. And the B. glasses almost exactly look like mine. NOW! Before you say, “But AMY! You are a LADY! And those are LADY glasses! I don’t want to look like a LADY!” I actually bought men’s glasses because my insurance was crappy and the women’s glasses available were all pink and red and clear and I hated them so much I wanted to punch everyone in the eyeglass store in the uvula.

I think you can see why voting takes me forever every year. I’m very “weigh-all-the-options” lady.

But seriously, I dig all of them but C. Good choices!

• 19 February 2012 08:10

I didn’t mean to cause hand-wringing! But it is difficult, isn’t it? Which reminds me: how did the lamp-buying go the other day?

Oh yeah, B do look like your glasses! Cool! (I’ve also realised that all but C look a lot like the type of glasses my dad wore in the late 1960s, when I was but a small tyke.)

Checking the poll, A, B and D all have an equal number of votes, but I’ll leave it for a few days to see if any of them pull ahead.

Thanks for voting!

• 19 February 2012 16:14

Lamp-buying was good! Easy. I just bought the cheapest lamp that didn’t look like it was made for a dorm room (there were a lot of plastic-looking ones that I thought looked awful.) So, less than $20, pretty functional but I’m not picky. At least I can see to read in the living room again, as long as Dumbcat doesn’t knock it over!

Older-style glasses are very in-style right now. My favorite pair were cat-eye inspired. I loved them, but they got worn out and I had to replace them. I haven’t been able to find a pair that’s similar since. Sigh…

• 19 February 2012 22:21

I’m glad! I hate buying lamps.

My fiancée had a pair of 1960s cat eye glasses a while back that she loved, but unfortunately they broke and you really can’t get hold of them anymore.

• 19 February 2012 22:08

A is clearly the best choice. I don’t know how anyone can chose differently.
        (Getting ready to stuff the ballot box)

• 20 February 2012 12:23

My glasses look very much like B. Am relieved to know they’re not lady glasses.

3. 19 February 2012 09:35

i voted D because they interfere least with your face. also, they transition well from scientist daywear to modern jazz eveningwear.

4. 19 February 2012 14:38

How can they NOT have the mad scientist frames??? That is blatantly ridiculous for any reputable eye glass establishment to not carry those frames. I am so mad I can’t even see straight. But, I guess I will have to deal with the not seeing straight due to the lack of acceptable frames.

• 19 February 2012 15:31

I know! I’m still in shock! It’s almost like they’d think 1930s mad scientists would give them a bad reputation or something. (Oh. Hang on.)

5. 19 February 2012 14:40

I voted Frame D. Frame C was a close second.

• 19 February 2012 15:34

Thanks for your help! At the moment, A and D are in shared 1st place. Frame C, however, is last. Sorry about that.

6. Lina permalink
    19 February 2012 14:45

Lillasyster säger A och systrars röst väger tungt! Jag ska förresten köpa mina allra första glasögon på onsdag.

• 19 February 2012 15:39

Så sant, så sant! Dessutom: A ligger redan på delad förstaplats, så det verkar gå som du vill än så länge.

Ska du skaffa glajjor? Vad kul! Får du tag på några 30-tals brillor eller lyser de med sin frånvaro i Sverige också?

• Lina permalink
        19 February 2012 17:20

30-tal? Då hade man väl monokel eller pincené. Monokel kanske vore något, jag tror att det bara är ena ögat jag ser dåligt med.

7. 19 February 2012 14:57

I chose frame A…which is similar to D. With my way of thinking if you choose A or D, I win either way.

8. 19 February 2012 14:58

PS: I am impressed that you have worn your frames for 14 years. I’ve been wearing mine for 2 and I am sick of them. Bravo. Impressive indeed.

9. 21 February 2012 23:45

I was leaning toward B but on second viewing, I like them less. Maybe it’s the size of the screen I was viewing them on originally but A has won me over. I think they make you look younger, but without the self-righteousness of B. I could just imagine B talking down to the other glasses if they won.

Personally I HATE buying glasses, where else would you be asked to choose something you can’t see, other than an opticians?
    I hope you’re happy with which ever frames you end up getting. Thanks for the extension :)

• 22 February 2012 07:29

Thanks for your input! Yes, B is one of the bolder frames, which could be either a good or a bad thing. A and D are the popular choices so far, with A currently in the lead.

(And I do need to look younger, so A would be good for that reason!)

10. 22 February 2012 18:55

Okay, I don’t want to appear too invested in this or at all over the top in my passion behind my answer but…

IF YOU DO NOT PICK GLASSES D I MAY ACTUALLY KILL MYSELF.

• 22 February 2012 21:21

That’s probably just the right amount of interest in someones eyewear, I’d say.

However: A is in the lead at the moment and if they win I would be obliged to buy them. I would miss you terribly, though, so get lobbying and see if you can’t get people to push D into the lead! I’d hate to live in a world without random thoughts of a plum.. (Even if I was wearing the most popular glasses.)

11. 23 February 2012 08:59

Why is A winning? I demand more votes – after all I have to look at you all day and I need good glasses to look at. Otherwise, what’s the point of it all? Really?

• 23 February 2012 10:00

You’re right: that really IS the point of it all.

You will need to lobby for D – why not join forces with Plum above? She will be strongly motivated as her life is on the line.

12. 24 February 2012 22:08

We’re trying to mount a DoS attack on C only because those glasses would make me smile everyday when I look into your eyes.

13. 29 February 2012 23:30

I’m think B or D, but I can’t say for certain because I can’t see either of those pics from my phone. I’ll have to submit my vote after I get home and look again.

1. I didn’t even attempt to describe Google Plus, Tumblr or Pinterest. His head might have exploded. « Lucy's Football